15 Oct 2024 20:17:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 26 Nov 2007 16:34:38
Message: <MPG.21b4e9db800f84a798a07f@news.povray.org>
In article <474af5b3$1@news.povray.org>, rli### [at] speakeasynet says...
> "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message
> > Ross <rli### [at] speakeasynet> wrote:
> > > Warp hates the mocking and has yet to offer a viable option to it oth
er
> than
> > > "Continue to try to convince by presenting the facts." Yet this has
> failed,
> > > and failed, and failed. Rather than continue the insanity loop, what
> should
> > > one do?
> >
> >   Are you saying that making fun of other people is a viable and
> acceptable
> > solution?
> >   Well, that's exactly what I don't understand. In my opinion making fu
> > of people is not civilized nor acceptable. I'm not exactly sure how sho
uld
> > I think of people who disagree with this. It just doesn't make sense.
> >
> > --
> >                                                           - Warp
>
> No, not at all. You are reading too much into it. I was seriously asking,
> break the deadlock of "explain with facts, reject facts, explain with fac
ts,
> reject facts, etc..." what is a viable alternative?

Besides.. I have to wonder, what possible response can you make to
something like this:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007/11/26/thorns.jpg

Unless its either a) laughing your ass off, or b) having an brain
aneurysm? Keeping in mind that the "logic" part of the sign is *their*
addition, not something that got added by someone else. I mean, at least
they are being honest, but I somehow don't think that they *intended* to
be *that* honest about their own logic. lol That is kind of the problem
with the current movement. Confronted by a world in which reason is
entirely a purview of the other side of the argument, all they can
manage is to make themselves look even more absurd with every action.
Some people at PZ's site have lamented that its not even worth it to
make up idiotic BS to mock them, since its impossible to come up with
anything more insane, irrational, fantasy based and delusional than they
do themselves, or write anything sufficiently self contradictory to mock
them, without being committed. All you have to do is look at
conservapedia, recognize that probably 80% of everything on there is
***known*** to be posted as a joke by non-conservatives as a joke, and
that neither any of the people reading it, nor its owner can tell the
difference, which is why the articles are **still** there.

When you can't tell the difference between satire and what your
opposition actually believes, its about time to have a good laugh at it
all, or you might be driven to a depth of despair sufficient to throw
yourself in front of a church bus. I really can't comprehend how you can
be considered sane and actually think most of the stuff on
conservapedia, let alone any place else these people post their stuff.
Mind you, one thing Warp completely doesn't get is that these people are
not interested in debate, valid arguments or the search for truth. If
you post *anything* on one of their sites, and I have tried at several,
while others have tried at many more, you will find that they either a)
hold all comments for review, then simply don't allow contrary points to
be seen at all, b) delete anything that they do allow to be posted, if
it contradicts their position, and/or c) ban the people that dare to
confront them with actual facts. The owners and their ass kissers then
all sit around whining about how, if science where true, someone would
show up to debate with them about the subject, but that the fact that no
one ever does means they are right.

Their public "debates" are the same. They are formatted so that only the
most shallow version is allowed, they usually go to lengths to have them
in places where they are 90% sure that 95% of the people attending will
be on their side, and then they limit the amount of time for questions,
and stock the front rows with people that will ask the right wrong
questions, so that no real questions or comments can be addressed, and
so that the questions that are asked are ones based on incorrect
perceptions, so that it would take 20 times as long to explain *why* the
question was a bad one as it would for the creationist to give a
standard BS answer (which of course makes the scientist look like an
idiot, since they can't answer it in 30 seconds).

On the net they stack things 100% in their favor and ban anyone with a
different view. In the real world they stage 90% of everything and try
damn hard to make sure its as close to 100% on their side as possible,
then set the whole system up in a format where its impossible to explain
how wrong the 30+ points they babble about are, within the time frame
allowed. And, whenever someone suggests a format that isn't stacked
almost entirely in their favor, they refuse to be involved in it, on the
grounds that its somehow "unfair". They refuse to play by any rules but
their own, and get damn irritated when anyone suggests to them that the
rules don't work, are not truly fair, or that its too complicated to
explain why they are wrong in the time frame they allow. And that is
entirely the point. They *intentially* frame things in Dr. Phil format,
where everything must be solved in the 40 minutes, not including the
commercial breaks, given, even if its so damn shallow that *real* issues
can't be address in it. Its the equivalent of arguing that fortune
cookies are the single most important method of future predictions ever
invented, and telling statisticians to shut up, because no one wants to
hear their complicated explanations. Only, since they argue that science
it just a different kind of religion, they would probably insert
"astrologer" in the place of statistician.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else